Sunday, July 24, 2011

Introduction

Welcome to my new blog.
Ausmalen will continue where I left off with my last blog, Saving, which I ran from 2004-2010, and which used to be located at saving.blog-city.com but has now been erased from the internet.
The founding of this blog also coincides with the deletion of my Facebook account, with the intention of funneling my 'content-creative' energies towards a more public outlet, which at the same time will be less connected to the marketing-oriented culture-spying that seems to happening on Facebook. I'm no privacy freak, but I do feel that, if I have any hand in the creation or distribution of any cultural data, information which concerns the cultural investments of myself and my friends, I would prefer that it be open to the wandering eyes of human blog readers rather than those of statistical marketing robots. This is not to say that my content here (hosted by Google, nonetheless) is in any way protected from data collectors, but at least with a blog there is a possibility of viewing it anonymously.

This move is also nostalgic, in that I already pine for the days of email and blogs, which were simpler tools of communication, completely public, more independent, less constrained by the format of Web 2.0 gimmicks. Back to basics. 

Ausmalen will differ slightly from Saving in that I'll try to focus more in writing. Short critical pieces will be mixed with fictional or experimental writing, as well as personal commentary in the tradition of the literary Tagebuch. I'll also be fairly unrestrained in my posting of videos, photos, and links— indeed, one of the few positive developments of Web 2.0 is the prevalence of the un-commented "forward-ing" of information from other sources.

Moreover, I aspire to tell the truth:

2 comments: